Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Do Dogs love?


 I could see him curled up in the corner of the crate. He was exhausted and frightened from his long journey. I was elated to see the truck and know he was being returned to me but my heart sunk at the sight of him in the crate looking defeated. I waited patiently while he was wheeled through the threshold of my home and reminded myself of how long it had been since I had seen my friend. 

Dutch had been living with my parents while we made the move from Florida to Washington.  It took nearly a year before we were stable enough to bring him out to live with us and we decided the best way to do this was through a courier service which specializes in moving pets. I was so excited to see him again but as I watched this tired creature enter my home I realized something that I had not thought of before. He may not remember me and it may take some time for us to reconnect. My joy immediately became conflicted with wondering how much regression I would be facing.

I signed the paper work and spoke with the driver for a moment.  As soon as I spoke, Dutch immediately stood up and wagged with such excitement that he shook the crate. Although, Dutch was a happy pup this level of sheer elation was excessive even for him.  At the sound of my voice he changed from a scared shell of a dog to my dear friend full of life and enthusiasm.  It was obvious that he recognized me and was excited to see me again.

I did not think about it much then.  I was just happy that he remembered me and I did not have to rebuild our relationship. The more I learn about dogs and the deeper I explore the theories of handling the prevailing wisdom is “do not humanize the dog’s behavior”.   This tidbit of wisdom is very helpful when focusing on training and motivation or understanding why a dog engages in certain annoying behaviors.  However, behaviors like Dutch’s jubilation at the sound of my voice seem to have no motivation besides the intimate connection that he and I shared.

Every dog I have ever known has made this connection with his humans in some way. My puppy brings me a toy as soon as I wake in the morning. My collie-mix looks me in the eye and kisses my nose once before he settles into my chair with me. My beautiful boxer girl will stretch all the way across the couch just so her paw is touching a human. These behaviors are not breed specific. We do not train them to do these things. They seem to simply love us and want to connect with us beyond the level of basic physical needs.

I was recently asked the question “Do dogs love?” Intellectually, I am taught they are animals and they behave as a result of instinct and conditioning.  However, as a pack leader, a rescue volunteer, and a dog enthusiast I believe that our affection for them is not lost. It is very difficult to find an explanation for the behaviors cited in this blog besides the desire for the dog to express affection to his human. So yes I do believe whole heartedly our dogs are capable of love and do indeed love us.  
a girl and her dogs blog spot

No comments:

Post a Comment